February 4, 2012

DAY 36, Ephesians 6 – Philippians 2


Good morning; my name is Mark Ritter and I was asked to give a devotional thought from Ephesians 6 – Philippians 2.

KEY VERSES:  Philippians 2:7 – 8, “…But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men:  And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross.”  And, Ephesians 6:19 – 20, “…And for me, that utterance may be given unto me, that I may open my mouth boldly, to make known the mystery of the gospel, For which I am an ambassador in bonds: that therein I may speak boldly, as I ought to speak.”
(THERE ARE SO MANY GREAT VERSES IN THESE CHAPTERS!)

REFLECTIONS:  When I think of the almighty Lord of all the universe submitting Himself to the Father and dying in my place for a punishment that I deserved, a flood of thoughts stream through my mind, and when all is said and done, I am speechless!!!  I simply stand amazed!  What love!  What compassion !  What selflessness!  Perfect obedience!  Such humility! – for me!  WOW!   Jesus Christ loves me so much (and everybody else too) that He emptied Himself and gave all He had for me – He went all out for me; He held nothing back.  He didn’t have to do this, but He wanted to die for me!  He knew I was hopelessly lost and desperately in need of what only He could give – atonement for my sin and eternal life -- HIMSELF! -- and He gave it freely!  John 15:13 says, “Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.”  I don’t think that I will ever get over what He did for me, and I hope that I never do.

Such love commands a response – first in receiving Him as Saviour and second – something that I unfortunately too often forget – in making Him complete and total Lord of my life!  I should be willing to give all that I have for Him, not 25%, not 5o%, not 75%, but 100% of the time.  So often I don’t live for Him and so often I don’t share Him with others as He gives me ample opportunity!  I need the filling of the Spirit that I might open my mouth boldly, to make known the mystery of the Gospel, that I might speak boldly as I ought to speak.  SPEAK IT AND LIVE IT, SURELY MY SAVIOUR DESERVES NO LESS!  I would ask that you would pray for me that I would be what I should be for Him all of the time. Thank you!
APPLICATION:  I will leave you with the words to a precious song:
Broken and spilled out just for love of me, Jesus;
God's most precious treasure lavished on me,
You were broken and spilled out and poured at my feet -
In sweet abandon, Lord, You were spilled out and used up for Me.
In sweet abandon, let me be spilled out and used up for Thee.”


Thank you for taking part in the Forty Day Challenge.  Have a blessed day!

In Christ, Mark 



Dr. Mark Ritter
Areas of service at VBC: Chairman of Deacons, Head of Ushers
Hobbies: Watching the Colts & IU
Family: Jennifer, Anthony, Austin, & Ashley