February 13, 2012

DAY 42, I TIMOTHY 1-3

Good Morning! My name is Sarah Herrold and I was asked to give you a devotional thought from the book of I Timothy chapters 1-3.

KEY VERSE:   I Timothy 1:12   I thank Jesus Christ our Lord, who has given me strength, that he considered me trustworthy, appointing me to his service. 

REFLECTIONS
God has been teaching me recently in my own life to depend on His strength.  I have been guilty in the past of waking up in the morning and telling God, “Today is going to be different.  I am going to be a good wife.   I am going to be a good mother,” only to find myself at the end of the day failing once again to do what I had promised God that day.

Through a set a circumstances God has showed me, “Sarah, I never intended for you to do it on your own. ….without me ye can do nothing….I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me…”  Even though I had been raised in a Christian home and accepted Jesus as my Savior when I was a little girl, I didn’t get what HIS STRENGTH meant.  He never meant for me to do it on my own.  I have learned that I can’t.  When things and circumstances outside my control got really overwhelming I couldn’t muster up enough good in me to do the right thing.  It is only through the power of the Holy Spirit.
I came across this quote the other day “God is attracted to weakness.  He can’t resist those who humbly and honestly admit how desperately they need Him.  Our weakness, in fact, makes room for His power.”  I am learning in my own life this is so true.  Why have I for so long tried to do it in my own strength only to fail?  It is only when I am humble and admit I need Him that His power can shine through.

APPLICATION:
I know we are all in different places in our lives.  What is it that is too big for you to handle?  You or a loved one facing a health issue, a financial crisis, a job loss, having to care for an elderly parent, in the middle of a marriage crisis that seems hopeless, dealing with a wayward child, a stay-at-home mom who has little ones and you don’t know if you have the energy to go another second, a single mom who is trying to keep it all together for the kids?  God will meet you right where you are at this exact moment.  We can fall on our knees and cry out to Him.  His Word promises that He hears us when we pray.  He never intended for us to handle all this in our own strength and power.

Thank you for being a part of the 100-Day Challenge.  Thanks for reading, and you have a blessed day!

In Christ, Sarah Herrold

NAME: Sarah Herrold
SAVED: 5 yrs. old
FAVORITE BIBLE CHARACTER:  Mary (Martha’s sister)

FAMILY:  Paul, Chloe(10), Caleb (7), Carter (5)

OCCUPATION:  Stay-at-home mom and housewife; work for Paul two days a week on the farm during farming season

FAVORITE BIBLE VERSE:  Jeremiah 29:11 ‘For I know the plans I have for you,’ declares the Lord, ‘plans to prosper you and not harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future.’

MINISTRY INVOLVEMENT AT VBC:  Children’s church, Meal Coordinator for Mothers of newborns