February 8, 2012

DAY 39, I THESSALONIANS 1-3

Good Morning!  My name is Jeff Herrold and I was asked to give you a devotional thought from the book of I Thessalonians, chapters1-3.

KEY VERSE:  
3:1  Thessalonians 3:3   That no man should be moved by these afflictions: for yourselves know that we are appointed thereunto.

3:4  For verily, when we were with you, we told you before that we should suffer tribulation; even as it came to pass, and ye know.

3:5  For this cause, when I could no longer forbear, I sent to know your faith, lest by some means the tempter have tempted you, and our labour be in vain.

3:7  Therefore, brethren, we were comforted over you in all our affliction and distress by your faith.

REFLECTIONS:
As I read through these verses, I think of Paul talking to these people and saying, HEY, you are going to have problems, tribulations, and persecution.  In fact, he even says in vs. 3 it has been appointed to you.  What are you going to do about it?  These new Christians had to make up their minds before the trials came and answer the question, Am I going to serve Him no matter how bad it is going to get?  Go back to when Jesus was alive and the famous triumphal entry.  The people were lined up on both sides of the city streets yelling, “Hosanna: Blessed is the King of Israel that cometh in the name of the Lord!”  This crowd was only saying these words because they thought He would save them from the evil Roman Empire or because they were healed and their lives where improved.  But when they found out he would not deliver them from tyranny on earth, they shouted CRUCIFY HIM, CRUCIFY HIM!!

Why am I serving Jesus?  Because it is easy, He has blessed me, all my friends go to church, I want my kids in church, routine, I like my Pastor, or I am afraid of what others would think if I stopped going?  What will it take for me to stop serving Him?  A job loss, sickness, death, persecution, trials, someone offends me, or someone makes fun of me?  I love what Romans 8 says, “Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword?  For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.”  Wow.
APPLICATION:  Decide today that you will make Him Lord of your life.  You will crown Him King no matter what happens.  I love verse 7 when Paul finds out that they didn’t waver, they didn’t quit, they didn’t throw in the towel, how encouraged and comforted he was in their faith.  John 16:33 says “in this world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world.

Thank you for being a part of the 40-Day Challenge.  Thanks for reading, and you have a blessed day!
In Christ,

Jeff Herrold

NAME:  Jeff Herrold
SAVED:  5 yrs old
FAVORITE BIBLE CHARACTER:  Paul

FAMILY:  Holly, Bella, Riley, and boy on the way

OCCUPATION:  Christian Farmer

FAVORITE BOOK IN BIBLE:  Gospels

MINISTRY INVOLVEMENT AT VBC:  King’s Kids, Children’s Church, Sunday School, Deacon, Silly Billy