January 28, 2012

DAY 28, II CORINTHIANS 1-3

Good Morning! My name is Holly Herrold, and I was asked to give you a devotional thought from the book of II Corinthians, chapters 1-3.
KEY VERSES:  

II Corinthians 1:3-4
Blessed be God, even the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies, and the God of all comfort. Who comforteth us in all our tribulation, that we may be able to comfort them which are in any trouble, by the comfort wherewith we ourselves are comforted of God.

II Corinthians 1:8-9
For we would not, brethren, have you ignorant of our trouble which came to us in Asia, that we were pressed out of measure, above strength, insomuch that we despaired even of life: But we had the sentence of death in ourselves, that we should not trust in ourselves, but in God which raiseth the dead.

 REFLECTIONS: 
As I read this I thought of trials in my life.  At the times I would go through trials I did not appreciate them or thank God for them.  It was after I went through the trial and looked back, especially in my prayer journal (where I write mostly when I am going through trialsJ), that I thanked God for the trials.  I grew closer and yearned for God at those times!  Looking back I would not change anything because I experienced God’s mercy and comfort like I never would if I had not had to go through a trial and lean on him.  What I have learned from these trials is that I have been able to help others with the same things I have gone through and experienced (I have found it is easier to help people when you share personally what the Lord has done and carried you through in your life) . I believe hard times in my life were used to draw me closer to God and not rely on myself but on God to see me through.  I really enjoy how in vs. 9 Paul says that things got so bad, they had the sentence of death, they thought they were surely going to die, they knew they could not save themselves, but God could.  They could no longer trust in themselves but they had to trust in God.  There wasn’t anywhere else to turn.  Where else could they go but to the Lord?  Why would they turn to God?  Why should we turn to God when we need help?  Because our God is a great God, our God is all powerful, our God is all knowing, our God raised Himself from the dead, our God spoke the world into existence, our God sits on His throne, our God is the good shepherd, our God knows exactly what we need before we do.  That’s my King!  Do you know and trust Him with your life?

APPLICATION:  
Don’t waste your troubles, learn more about our Father’s comfort and mercy through them, and help comfort others just as you have been comforted.

Realize that you can’t handle everything, but God can carry you through any and everything…Rely on God!!

Thank you for being a part of the 40-Day Challenge.  Thanks for reading, and you have a blessed day!

In Christ,
Holly Herrold

NAME: Holly Herrold
SAVED: Third grade
FAVORITE BIBLE CHARACTER:  Esther
FAMILY:  Jeff (husband)  Kids: Bella, Riley, and Baby boy due May 20, 2012
OCCUPATION:  Full time MOMMY and WIFE
FAVORITE BOOK IN BIBLE:  Psalms (ok plus two moreJ Ephesians and Philippians)
MINISTRY INVOLVEMENT AT VBC: King's Kids, 4th-6th grade Sunday School, Children's Church