January 1, 2012

DAY 1, John 1-3

Hello, my name is Paul Herrold and I was asked to give you a devotional thought from the book of John, chapters 1-3.
KEY VERSES:
John 3:28-30

28 Ye yourselves bear me witness, that I said, I am not the Christ, but that I am sent before him.  29 He that hath the bride is the bridegroom: but the friend of the bridegroom, which standeth and heareth him, rejoiceth greatly because of the bridegroom's voice: this my joy therefore is fulfilled.  30  He must increase, but I must decrease.

REFLECTIONS:

As I reflected on these verses I was struck with the humility it took for John the Baptist to be thought of by his peers to be the "Christ" or the Messiah and not be puffed up with pride.  Verse 30 convicts me.  John said he (Jesus) must increase and I must decrease.  How would a humble, servant attitude affect my life if I chose to display it?  How would a humble, servant attitude change my marriage, parenting, and my work?  I think of the scripture that says God resists the proud and gives grace to the humble.  Grace is divine empowerment.  You and I desperately need God's grace in every area of our lives.  If we want God's grace to abound it is vital that we humble ourselves before the Lord.  The alternative is to be resisted by God.  That mental picture cracks me up and terrifies me at the same time.  It reminds me of the time I tried to throw some nasty food out the front window of the car, and the back window was open; and it came right back in.  That's my mental picture of God resisting me.  It cracks me up but scares me at the same time.  All those things we are trying frantically to accomplish just ends up in a big mess in the back seat of our life.  Let’s submit and surrender to God.  Either we bow on our own, or he has ways of making us say UNCLE, and Aunt and gramma and MOMMMMMMMY!!! ( you get the idea)  John’s humble and mighty spirit must be why Jesus said in reference to John, “Among those born of women there has not risen anyone greater than John the Baptist.”

APPLICATION: THE WAY WE LIVE OUR LIVES SHOULD EXALT CHRIST, AND MINIMIZE US.  OUR LIVES SHOULD BRING GLORY TO GOD IN ALL WE DO!

Thank you for being a part of the 40 Day Challenge. Thanks for reading, and you have a blessed day 
In Christ, Paul